Sign in to follow this  
jadinolf

Clarification re: PUPs

jadinolf   

SAS Pro 5.6.0.1020

For the last three mornings my first scan of the day has found 10 PUPs and I get the message that nothing has been added to Quarantine.

Maybe I'm really dumb but I can't figure out how to get rid of them,

Any idea why they are there every morning? Never had them before.

Thanks

post-11652-0-66444100-1369195562_thumb.jpg

jadinolf   

Today there were 8 and I was given the opportunity to delete them so we are making progress.edit: A manual scan was run later and SAS found two PUPs, so the total for the day was again 10.

I have 5 computers in use and this is the only one picking up these PUPs.

Is this a scheduled scan or a manual scan? The PUP detections will be notify items. In order to remove notify items you must run a manual scan and select the items for removal when asked at scan completion.

jadinolf   

Is this a scheduled scan or a manual scan? The PUP detections will be notify items. In order to remove notify items you must run a manual scan and select the items for removal when asked at scan completion.

It's a scheduled scan- the first one of the day, which runs at 8:00 A.M.

I may have more to report tomorrow morning since I found things that should not have been on my hard drive.

jadinolf   

Well, here we go. I Googled PUP and found that they came along with the installation of another program.  Looking at when the PUPs started, I checked to see what program I had installed about 5/18/2013 and the closest i could find was Mozbackup on 5/14. I hen located two bits of malware that were installed on 5/14 - White Smoke New Tool Bar and Search Protect by Conduit.

They are gone now and today's scan result is shown here.

I am usually so careful about installing junk along with good programs. I did not see any of the malware I mentioned during installation of Mozbackup. The malware is gone and so is Mozbackup.

jadinolf   

Sorry, graphic didn't load.

Oh yes, I also installed Spyware Blaster which I haven't used in a long time. Don't know if this helped.

post-11652-0-31828700-1369322299_thumb.jpg