#1 themorn2112

themorn2112

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:48 PM

Greetings,
when I boot my laptop I get a popup from "cdn.optmd.com" that opens on Internet Explorer. This happens only once a day, and only on Internet Explorer. I am currently using IE9, but this problem occured on IE8 as well. My current operating System is Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit), but has been present since before my upgrade from Vista ultimate. I have used several anti virus and anti spyware applications (spybot, antivir, trend micro [online], MS security essentials) with negative results. At one point I removed internet explorer, in favor of Firefox which remedied the problem seeing that the pop up occured only on Internet Explorer, but because of issues I am having with FF I switched back to IE9. Outside of this issue SAS and SAB are great applications.
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I use FF and IE9 because they seem to be best optimized for my hotmail account.

#2 ezekial52787

ezekial52787

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:57 AM

Greetings,
when I boot my laptop I get a popup from "cdn.optmd.com" that opens on Internet Explorer. This happens only once a day, and only on Internet Explorer. I am currently using IE9, but this problem occured on IE8 as well. My current operating System is Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit), but has been present since before my upgrade from Vista ultimate. I have used several anti virus and anti spyware applications (spybot, antivir, trend micro [online], MS security essentials) with negative results. At one point I removed internet explorer, in favor of Firefox which remedied the problem seeing that the pop up occured only on Internet Explorer, but because of issues I am having with FF I switched back to IE9. Outside of this issue SAS and SAB are great applications.
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I use FF and IE9 because they seem to be best optimized for my hotmail account.

hey Themorn, sounds like adware to me, try running SAS in safe mode, and down, malwarebytes and running that in safe mode as well www.malwarebytes.org I also suggest using AVG anti-virus free edition :-) hope this helps!

#3 themorn2112

themorn2112

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:33 AM

hey Themorn, sounds like adware to me, try running SAS in safe mode, and down, malwarebytes and running that in safe mode as well www.malwarebytes.org I also suggest using AVG anti-virus free edition :-) hope this helps!

Greetings,
Thank you for your response and your suggestions. Sorry for the delay in answering your response (I was implimenting your suggestions). I tried all that you suggested with no change in my issues. I even went as far as to block "cdn.optmd.com" using the filter in my netgear router. Good/Bad news; Bad new - the window still pops up immediately after boot up, but the good news is that the ads are blocked within IE9 window. This is still an annoyance because I still get the IE9 window pop up sans ads. I am approaching my wits end on this. any positive assistance would be greatly and desperately appreciated.

On a tangent, I also had a problem with with IE9 crashing on my hotmail account whenever I open email messages from Facebook. After googling the problem the problem was found to be with the "aac_parser.ax" contained in the "C:\Windows\SysWow64\" folder. That problem was solved by deleting that file.

Once again, any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you one and all in advance.

#4 ezekial52787

ezekial52787

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:53 AM

Greetings,
Thank you for your response and your suggestions. Sorry for the delay in answering your response (I was implimenting your suggestions). I tried all that you suggested with no change in my issues. I even went as far as to block "cdn.optmd.com" using the filter in my netgear router. Good/Bad news; Bad new - the window still pops up immediately after boot up, but the good news is that the ads are blocked within IE9 window. This is still an annoyance because I still get the IE9 window pop up sans ads. I am approaching my wits end on this. any positive assistance would be greatly and desperately appreciated.

On a tangent, I also had a problem with with IE9 crashing on my hotmail account whenever I open email messages from Facebook. After googling the problem the problem was found to be with the "aac_parser.ax" contained in the "C:\Windows\SysWow64\" folder. That problem was solved by deleting that file.

Once again, any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you one and all in advance.

hmmmmmmmmmm, try downloading the AVG rescue CD, you can find it here: http://www.avg.com/u...-rescue-cd#tba3 instructs on how to create it and use it are in the link too, just have to burn it to a CD and boot the computer from the CD, then update it from within and scan. As a last resort, if you don't have AVG installed on your PC click this link http://www.bleepingc...to-use-combofix scroll down and click the bleepingcomputer.com dark blue link, on the next page click combofix download link and let combofix download, once it has downloaded reboot your PC and run it in Safe mode again, find the combofix executable and run it, say okay to any prompts you get, then let it run, combofix is a last resort, I also suggest trying Dr Web's CUREIT! anti-virus which doesn't require installation to scan, and runs in a safe mode to preventm alware from terminating it, you can get that here https://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/ hope these help!

#5 themorn2112

themorn2112

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

It looks like this is something that is embedded in IE. I disabled IE. Now I no longer have this problem. This issue is the main reason I no longer use IE. :cry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users