• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

I usually run the scan about once every couple of months. It normally takes about 40 minutes or so. Right now it has been running for over 3 1/2 hours. I don't know what to do. I know that I got a virus on my computer last night. It was that Personal Shield Pro Virus. I think it is gone now but I am still having problems. The current scan that I'm running has found another virus called Trojan.Agent/Gen-FakeSoft(DCom) on my computer. I obviously want to remove it from my computer but the scan won't end. It has now been going for 3 hours and 46 minutes. Do you think it's working properly or is something wrong? Should I just continue letting it scan? If I don't complete the scan, will the virus still be removed? I wonder if the virus is slowing down the computer. Should I start the scan over again and do it in safe-mode?

#2 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Hello.

Cancel the scan (you'll still be able to remove anything that SAS has found).

Restart the computer and update SAS by right clicking the SAS icon in the Notification Area and choosing "Check For Updates. Now, run a quick scan from Safe Mode and post the log from the scan.
[

#3 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:14 PM

Hello.

Cancel the scan (you'll still be able to remove anything that SAS has found).

Restart the computer and update SAS by right clicking the SAS icon in the Notification Area and choosing "Check For Updates. Now, run a quick scan from Safe Mode and post the log from the scan.

I did a complete scan in safe mode. Here is what it showed:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 09/05/2011 at 02:57 AM

Application Version : 5.0.1118

Core Rules Database Version : 7644
Trace Rules Database Version: 5456

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 03:25:09

Operating System Information
Windows XP Professional 32-bit, Service Pack 3 (Build 5.01.2600)
Administrator

Memory items scanned : 298
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 35555
Registry threats detected : 2
File items scanned : 54168
File threats detected : 37

Disabled.SecurityCenterOption
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\SECURITY CENTER#ANTIVIRUSDISABLENOTIFY
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\SECURITY CENTER#FIREWALLDISABLENOTIFY

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ad.wsod[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ad.wsod[4].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ad.wsod[5].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ads.bloodhorse[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@ads.pgatour[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@questionmarket[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\administrator@realmedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\3ZN60XXL.txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\BE3WOH39.txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\34Q11HSJ.txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\2TSS0KCV.txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\10PAQK3R.txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\6DTH2VKW.txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\2TY37488.txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\4Z8ACQQM.txt
ad.insightexpressai.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\A9LS6L5C ]
convoad.technoratimedia.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\A9LS6L5C ]
media.cnbc.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\A9LS6L5C ]
media.nbcnewyork.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\A9LS6L5C ]
mediaserver.vrxstudios.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\A9LS6L5C ]
msnbcmedia.msn.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\A9LS6L5C ]
objects.tremormedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\A9LS6L5C ]
s0.2mdn.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\A9LS6L5C ]
secure-us.imrworldwide.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\A9LS6L5C ]
speed.pointroll.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\A9LS6L5C ]
speed.pointroll.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\BFTQAYEH ]
media1.break.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\LOCALSERVICE\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\NTH6E8KZ ]
objects.tremormedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\LOCALSERVICE\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\NTH6E8KZ ]
secure-us.imrworldwide.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\LOCALSERVICE\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\NTH6E8KZ ]
convoad.technoratimedia.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NETWORKSERVICE\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\DJ4JRC82 ]
crackle.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NETWORKSERVICE\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\DJ4JRC82 ]
media1.break.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NETWORKSERVICE\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\DJ4JRC82 ]
objects.tremormedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NETWORKSERVICE\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\DJ4JRC82 ]
secure-us.imrworldwide.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NETWORKSERVICE\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\DJ4JRC82 ]
speed.pointroll.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NETWORKSERVICE\APPLICATION DATA\MACROMEDIA\FLASH PLAYER\#SHAREDOBJECTS\DJ4JRC82 ]

Trojan.Agent/Gen-FakeSoft[DCom]
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{A80475B6-CF6D-4B3A-BD21-B16C67DB5304}\RP346\A0020891.EXE

#4 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

Purge your restore points by disabling then re-enabling System Restore.

Restart the computer, run a quick scan, and let me know how long the scan took.
[

#5 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:49 AM

I took your advice and purged my restore points by disabling then re-enabling System Restore. Then I restarted the computer and did a quick scan. The quick scan had been running for well over an hour and I had to send a quick e-mail. When I opened my e-mail program (Outlook), everything froze including the Superspyware quick scan. So I wasn't able to complete the scan but I can tell you that it was running for well over an hour before everything froze.

#6 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

I just tried it again and 22 minutes into the scan a box from Microsoft popped up saying "Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close.

#7 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

Even your quick scan is taking too long.

Run a scan with the Eset online scanner: http://go.eset.com/us/online-scanner

Following the above, restart into Normal Mode, then restart into Safe Mode and run a SAS quick scan. How long does the quick scan now take?

Also, what other security products do you run in real time?
[

#8 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

Following the above, restart into Normal Mode, then restart into Safe Mode and run a SAS quick scan. How long does the quick scan now take?

Ok, I will try that. I run Avira on my computer in real time but I always disable it before I do a SAS scan.

#9 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:27 AM

I did the est.com scannner. It didn't find anything. Then I did a SAS quick scan in safe mode and it took 38 minutes. It didn't find any viruses. I don't think I have any more viruses on my computer but I wonder if they did some permament damage. When I turn my computer on it works fine for about a half hour and then it slows down to the point where it's like totally unresponsive and I can't even shut it down properly. I just have to turn it off. I've had to do that like literally 20 times the past 3 days. I know that's bad for the computer but there was nothing else I could do. It would just get totally frozen and if I pressed control/alt/delete nothing would happen.

#10 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

As it starts to slow down, open Task Manager and see if you can find the process that's consuming a large amount of the cpu and/or memory. When in Task manager, be sure to select "Show processes from all users".
[

#11 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

As it starts to slow down, open Task Manager and see if you can find the process that's consuming a large amount of the cpu and/or memory. When in Task manager, be sure to select "Show processes from all users".

The biggest one by far is svchost.exe. and the user name is "System". That one is using 60 CPU and 801,000k Mem Usage. The second biggest one in terms of CPU is System Idle Process with the user name "System". That one is using 30 CPU. It's using hardly any Mem Usage though. It's only using 28k Mem Usage.

The second biggest one in terms of Mem Usage is iexplore.exe. That one is using 66,812k Mem Usage but only 1 CPU.

#12 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

I figured it would be svchost.

The issue is most likely an infection, or an infection that corrupted Windows's Update (another main cause of svchost and high cpu).

For now, temporarily disable Window's Update, restart the computer and see how it runs. If that doesn't help, I'll give you further instructions.
[

#13 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

The issue is most likely an infection, or an infection that corrupted Windows's Update (another main cause of svchost and high cpu).

For now, temporarily disable Window's Update, restart the computer and see how it runs. If that doesn't help, I'll give you further instructions.

When I click on Windows Update, I get a page that says, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." It's strange that I can go to any website except that one. I have no trouble going to that website on my other computer.

#14 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

I found another way to disable Window's Update. I have how now disabled it and I am still having the same problem.

#15 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

One last attempt at addressing an infection (most probably a rootkit):

Download ComboFix from here: http://www.bleepingc...-virus/combofix

Run it from Safe Mode With Networking. If you get a warning to disable Avira, ignore it and continue. Also allow ComboFix to update the XP Recovery Console if it requests such. Once ComboFix has started, don't use the computer until the ComboFix log appears.

If that doesn't clear up the issue, then the most practical resolution would be a repair install or clean install of XP. If so, what is the make and model of the PC?, and do you have an XP cd (If so, what exactly is the description of the cd)?
[

#16 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

Run it from Safe Mode With Networking. If you get a warning to disable Avira, ignore it and continue. Also allow ComboFix to update the XP Recovery Console if it requests such. Once ComboFix has started, don't use the computer until the ComboFix log appears.

If that doesn't clear up the issue, then the most practical resolution would be a repair install or clean install of XP. If so, what is the make and model of the PC?, and do you have an XP cd (If so, what exactly is the description of the cd)?

I will take the steps you recommended. By the way, a friend of mine just walked me through some steps and he thinks he found the virus but he doesn't know how to get rid of it. In the "run" section of the registry, we found something that we have never heard of. The name is BEA77C9F-31C. The data says "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Sooheb\diere.exe". When we delete it, it comes come right back.

#17 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

When I try to run Cobofix, I get an error message. It says, "You cannot rename ComboFix as ComboFix(1). Please use another name, preferably made up of alphanumeric characters".

What does that mean? I didn't try to rename anything.

#18 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

Right click on it and rename it to Combofix.exe

If it still doesn't run, rename it to abc123.exe
[

#19 richard727

richard727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

Right click on it and rename it to Combofix.exe

If it still doesn't run, rename it to abc123.exe

I right clicked it and changed the name and it worked. It did all the scans and then it rebooted my computer. My compuer has been back on for about 6 or 7 minutes now. The Combofix window is open. It says that it is "Preparing Log Report", "Do not run any programs until Combofix has finished" but so far nothing is happening.

I hope it is working. It says "Preparing Log Report" but nothing is happening. It's about 10 minutes now since the computer rebooted.

#20 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

Wait longer for the report, then see how the computer runs.
[

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users