• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 veggiegirl

veggiegirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:16 PM

I have updated definitions automatically & manually, but when I go to perform a complete scan, the scanning stops after only a few seconds, sometimes just 4 seconds. The dialog screen goes away completely OR it just remains frozen. I have tried scanning in regular mode and in safe mode.

When I tried to uninstall SuperAntiSpyware Lifetime Professional with CCleaner just now, (thinking I would reinstall it from the website) it would not uninstall, saying that Windows Installer had a problem.

The only other symptom is that icons on the desktop, the start menu and everything that springs from there are 3 times their normal size, despite changing the image resolution bit size. Nothing I can figure out takes it back to its normal, smaller size. This is what makes me think I have a virus.

And yet SAS won't run completely. I don't know how long it has been behaving this way. I normally allow the complete scan to happen automatically at 3 a.m. After ending the manually initiated scan before it is finished, the info I get when I pull up the next dialog box is "Last scan: ________-fill in the blank with whenever it started." So it always looks like SAS did its job.

Please help, oh wonderful people who know how to solve such problems!

#2 SAS_Dave

SAS_Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

When the complete scan stops, does SUPERAntiSpyware return to the main window or is it shut down/closed at that point? If you do a Quick Scan, does the same thing happen? If not, try disabling the "scan inside Zip archives" option on the complete scan. Let us know your results.

#3 veggiegirl

veggiegirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

You're a genius! It performed a quick scan just fine -- it's really fast now with the most recent updates! Got the report -- 58 adware tracking devices eliminated.

So I tried the complete scan and unchecked the scanning within zip drives, like you said. It went for a minute or two and then I got a box that said: "SuperAntiSpyware application has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." So I clicked on "close program" which was the only option and the SAS window went away completely.

I think before sometimes I got this message but sometimes I did not and the SAS window just disappeared. Once the scanning window -- that shows how many files are being scanned at the time -- just froze after 5 seconds of scanning.

So -- I still need to figure out what keeps me from performing a complete scan. THANK YOU!

#4 SAS_Dave

SAS_Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

So -- I still need to figure out what keeps me from performing a complete scan. THANK YOU!

Sounds like it's a file SUPERAntiSpyware is having trouble with. Have you entered your e-mail address during one of the failures and submitted it to us? Me or one of the other developers can look up what happened.

#5 veggiegirl

veggiegirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

There was not a place to enter my email address, but I did just receive an email via this website from Don Fowler at support.com. So I'm waiting to see what he says needs to happen to resolve the issue. (He's not a rogue agent, is he? ;-) )

Thank you!

#6 artobloom

artobloom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hello, I am also having the same problem in that the program shuts down automaticly after about 3 min or less of scanning after it finds something. I have done a quick scan stopped the program and asked it to clean the file, it does. Then the next time I start the program in the quick scan again it shuts down after not finding a bad file.
I have used kaspaov(sp)scanner and it picked up this file name in c/windows/system32/drivers/mrxsb.sys, as well as c/windows/126328543:2898899892.exe but does not clean them out of the system.
Any suggestions? BTW my AVG shows that it is not active or alive and my adaware spyware shuts down as well after about 1 min of scanning.
Thanks Arto

#7 nickybarbs

nickybarbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hi,
I'm having a similar problem. SUPERAntiSpyware can do a quick scan for me but it always stops mid-scan during a complete scan and either closes right away or I receive a Windows message saying is stopped working. I downloaded the program because my laptop is infected with the "Win 7" virus (a fake anti-virus) that basically won't let me open any application. I can't install anything or go online without the fake virus messages popping up. I can't get rid of this thing. After searching some online forums I found SUPERAntiSpyware to be the only thing i can actually open to perform a virus scan (thank you), but I've tried complete scans in normal mode and safe mode and it always stops working before it can detect the virus and get rid of it. I've tried to update but it says no updates are available (the button is grayed out). Please Help!! Is there anything I can do?

#8 SAS Customer Service

SAS Customer Service

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Download the portable version here (re-download it if you have already downloaded it to get the newest definitions) then try running a complete scan in safe mode. If the same thing happens, create a support ticket at www.superantispyware.com/csr
Customer Service
SUPERAntiSpyware
www.superantispyware.com

#9 nickybarbs

nickybarbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Didn't work...UGh..thank you for replying though, i really appreciate the help. Gonna open a support ticket now. Hopefully something will work out. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users