Photo

SASKUTIL and SASDIFSV are Hardware Devices?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chrisw

chrisw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

I recently uninstalled SAS (free) from my Win7/64 machine and replaced it with SAS portable. I now notice from my Norton Security Suite Diagnostic Report (~Norton 360) that hardware devices SASKUTIL and SASDIFSV are improperly configured or maybe even missing. They do not appear in my Device Manager, but do appear in the registry (eg, ROOT\LEGACY_SASKUTIL\0000). Should I just delete them from the registry, or is there a less dangerous way to clean this up?

Attached Files

#2 SAS Customer Service

SAS Customer Service

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

I recently uninstalled SAS (free) from my Win7/64 machine and replaced it with SAS portable. I now notice from my Norton Security Suite Diagnostic Report (~Norton 360) that hardware devices SASKUTIL and SASDIFSV are improperly configured or maybe even missing. They do not appear in my Device Manager, but do appear in the registry (eg, ROOT\LEGACY_SASKUTIL\0000). Should I just delete them from the registry, or is there a less dangerous way to clean this up?

Please reinstall the software using the tools below.

Please follow this link to uninstall: (Please do NOT use the Control Panel method, the solution will not work correctly)
http://www.superanti...s/SASUNINST.EXE

Follow this link to install:
http://www.superanti...m/download.html

After you do the reinstall, that 'missing' error should alieve itself.

Regards,

SUPERAntiSpyware.com Customer Service
Customer Service
SUPERAntiSpyware
www.superantispyware.com

#3 chrisw

chrisw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

Many thanks, it worked like a charm.

#4 Baldrick

Baldrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

Please reinstall the software using the tools below.

Please follow this link to uninstall: (Please do NOT use the Control Panel method, the solution will not work correctly)
http://www.superanti...s/SASUNINST.EXE

Follow this link to install:
http://www.superanti...m/download.html

After you do the reinstall, that 'missing' error should alieve itself.

Regards,

SUPERAntiSpyware.com Customer Service

May I ask how I permanently uninstall SAS give that at present I do not want to use it. I had it installed a few years back and then recently decided to uninstall it using the uninstaller provided via Add/Remove and ended up with the issue. Whilst what has been suggested has indeed worked I am now left with a copy of SAS installed which I still do not want. I cannot believe that to avoid the issue I have to have a copy of the software installed even if I do not want to use it.

Any help to achieve my objective will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Baldrick :-D

#5 siliconman01

siliconman01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:16 AM

May I ask how I permanently uninstall SAS give that at present I do not want to use it. I had it installed a few years back and then recently decided to uninstall it using the uninstaller provided via Add/Remove and ended up with the issue. Whilst what has been suggested has indeed worked I am now left with a copy of SAS installed which I still do not want. I cannot believe that to avoid the issue I have to have a copy of the software installed even if I do not want to use it.

Any help to achieve my objective will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Baldrick :-D

Baldrick,

You should be able to run the SAS Uninstaller Assistant from the link below and it will remove everything. Once you run the Assistant, a reboot will occur. If any folders for SAS are left over, just delete them.

http://forums.supera...tion-assistant/

Windows 8.1.u1 x64 Professional, local MS Office 2013, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell XPS 8700 (SAS Pro) and a MS Surface tablet (SAS Pro). 

#6 Baldrick

Baldrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

Baldrick,

You should be able to run the SAS Uninstaller Assistant from the link below and it will remove everything. Once you run the Assistant, a reboot will occur. If any folders for SAS are left over, just delete them.

http://forums.supera...tion-assistant/

Hi siliconman

Thanks for the information. I have tried that and whilst it looks like it has worked if I search the Registry I still find a couple of references to both SASKUTIL & SASDFISV, as follows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Safely Remove/Drives/ROOT*LEGACY_SASKUTIL*0000 and .../ROOT*LEGACY_SASDFISV*0000

HKEY_USERS/S-1-5-21-2167....../Software/Safely Remove/Drives/ROOT*LEGACY_SASKUTIL*0000 and .../ROOT*LEGACY_SASDFISV*0000

Now I do use a piece of software called USB Safely Remove and so for some reason that software may have logged SASKUTIL & SASDFISV when I installed it but my question is do you think that leaving these registry entries where they are would be a bad thing or not.

Bit confused as to why USB Safely Remove would see the SAS objects as 'drives' but then agian I do not know how SAS works in detail.

Any advice that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Baldrick :grin:

#7 siliconman01

siliconman01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

SASKUTIL.sys is a software driver of SAS, not a drive- that is, not a disk. Those two registry keys will not harm your computer or its performance if left in the registry. There are normally several drivers left in the Legacy section of the registry as programs are added and then removed from your system.

Windows 8.1.u1 x64 Professional, local MS Office 2013, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell XPS 8700 (SAS Pro) and a MS Surface tablet (SAS Pro). 

#8 chrisw

chrisw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Customer Service/silicon man: I started this thread, and this annoyance is back again after I used SAS a couple of days ago...Norton thinks these two drivers are hardware. Baldrick has the same problem, the USB Remove function in Windows thinks they are hardware also (I see the problem in Norton, but not in USB Remove). FWIW, something's not right.

#9 Baldrick

Baldrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

Customer Service/silicon man: I started this thread, and this annoyance is back again after I used SAS a couple of days ago...Norton thinks these two drivers are hardware. Baldrick has the same problem, the USB Remove function in Windows thinks they are hardware also (I see the problem in Norton, but not in USB Remove). FWIW, something's not right.

I agree with chrisw. If these are known to be there/remain there after the uninstall then why not chnage the uninstall to deal withthem...whether or not they will harm or affect the performance of the PC. It is just good housekeeping/being tidy!

<_<

#10 chrisw

chrisw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

I agree with chrisw. If these are known to be there/remain there after the uninstall then why not chnage the uninstall to deal withthem...whether or not they will harm or affect the performance of the PC. It is just good housekeeping/being tidy!

<_<

I agree with Baldrick....not being tidy suggests there may be other, more serious, problems as well.

#11 JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

By default only system has permissions to delete the Legacy reg keys. I don't know whether SASUNINST.EXE runs as system or administrator. But if the latter it would be tricky (it would need to change permissions first). That is why very few app uninstalls remove their Legacy keys.

If you want to delete them manually log in with an account with admin rights, first right click on the key, click permissions and give administrator full permission, OK, the right click delete.

#12 chrisw

chrisw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:10 AM

If you want to delete them manually log in with an account with admin rights, first right click on the key, click permissions and give administrator full permission, OK, the right click delete.
[/quote]

JR...they delete that way,but come right back if you want to use SAS.

#13 chrisw

chrisw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

OK, I think I solved my problem on my Win7/64 machine (admittedly a jerry-rig solution). Go to device manager>view>show hidden devices>non plug and play drivers; I then Disabled (setting was System) the two SAS drivers. Seems to have solved false positive in Norton. And SAS (portable) works just fine, evidently SASKUTIL and SASDIFSV serve no crucial function.

#14 99girl

99girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

You people are brilliant! Been dealing with the same issue as chrisw for over 2 years. I was sure It was the Sony drivers- did several re- installs of poss. missing drivers, but never fixed it totally, then it became such a nuisance every restart I felt like chucking the whole laptop cross the room. I even began to think it was M.S.'s way of saying Ha-Ha since I am still using the now obsolete XP and refuse to upgrade. (Paranoid Much?) 2 clicks, &  it disappeared from Device manager, and New Hardware Wizard stopped. Thank You for such an easy fix. My Laptop also thanks you for saving it from a premature retirement.  :razz:  :idea:  :cool:  :razz:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users