• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Alan b

Alan b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

I have scheduled a complete system scan to run weekly at 23:59 on Friday. In SAS Main Menu/Scheduled Scanning/Scan Options I have selected "Automatically shut down the computer after scan is complete". However, the computer has not shut down after the scan on two successive Fridays. I have a similar shutdown preference for my Avira Antivir Premium anti virus after it does a complete system scan at 23:59 on Saturday and it always shuts down, so it doesn't seem as if there is another process running which prevents the shutdown.

I also have selected "Automatically quarantine and remove infected files" and "Check for Definition Updates before scanning". I have DEselected "Automatically reboot the computer if required to complete the cleanup" and "Do not show the user interface while scanning".

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
SuperAntiSpyware Professional 4.44.1000

#2 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:47 AM

Hi Alan.

It's possible that Windows 7 won't allow SAS to shutdown the computer due to "administrator" privileges.

Shut down SAS from the notification area, then navigate to All Programs--> Superantispyware. Open that folder and right click on Superantispyware Professional. Choose "Run As Administrator".

Let's see how that works out.
[

#3 Alan b

Alan b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hi Seth - thanks for that. I'll try it and update next Saturday after the next scan.

Alan

#4 Alan b

Alan b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

Still not shutting down - I get the shutdown dialog box - see attachment - but no shutdown

Attached Files

#5 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

You're welcome.

Do any errors appear in the shutdown attempt?

If not, I suggest you write down your SAS product key, then uninstall using the SAS Uninstaller. BTW, the key is in SAS's Preferences--> Help.

http://www.superanti...lay.html?faq=47

Re-install SAS from www.superantispyware.com and see if the problem continues. If it does, I suggest you submit a Customer Support Request and the SAS developers can run diagnostics on your system to see what's going on.
[

#6 Alan b

Alan b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:53 PM

Hi again,Seth. I've been submitting these posts in parallel to the forum and to support. I've followed the instructions to the letter and there is still no automatic shutdown.

A stupid question: in the Shutdown dialog box in my previous post there are two buttons - "Shutdown" and "Cancel". I want automatic shutdown so I obviously don't click "Cancel". Surely I don't have to click "Shutdown" to achieve the shutdown? If I do the shutdown is not automatic, which defeats the purpose of automatic shutdown - being able to go away in the knowledge that the computer will shutdown without any intervention from me. So is the only purpose of the "Shutdown" button to shutdown before the 30 second timeout?

Alan

#7 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

So is the only purpose of the "Shutdown" button to shutdown before the 30 second timeout?

The Cancel option is there in case someone is using the computer at that time and doesn't want it to shutdown.

I really don't see any purpose with the Shutdown button.

How's it going with SAS support?
[

#8 Alan b

Alan b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi Seth

From support:
"Hello Alan,

What happens when the timer hits zero? Are you running any other security?

Regards,

Sean Ormsby
Director of Customer Service"

When the timer hits zero the dialog box disappears.

Security Programs:

Avira AntiVir Premium
Comodo Personal Firewall
WinPatrol
Sandboxie

Alan

#9 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

You might want to check out Event Viewer's Application Events and System Events. Check for any clues in the listing that correspond to the time SAS was supposed to shut down.

http://www.windows7u...ent-Viewer.html
[

#10 Alan b

Alan b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hi Seth

Sorry forgot to mention - I'd already searched event viewer and there was nothing pertaining to SAS. Latest from support:

"Please try disabling all security programs except SUPERAntiSpyware, and see if it shuts down. (My bet is yes it will :))
Regards,
Sean Ormsby
Director of Customer Service
SUPERAntiSpyware"

I disabled all the security programs. There were 4 Avira System processes which would not end: avguard.exe *32, avmailc.exe *32, avshadow.exe, and avwebgrd.exe *32. I got an "Access is Denied" message when trying to end these, even though I am logged on as an administrator. Again no automatic shutdown after a scheduled scan.

Regards

Alan

#11 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:05 PM

I shouldn't say much more, given that you're working with support. However, I suspect they'll get you to temporarily disable those security items from msconfig, then try the scheduled scan.
[

#12 siliconman01

siliconman01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:29 PM

I can confirm Alan's findings. SAS PRO will not shutdown Win 7 x64 Professional following a scheduled scan...even if SuperAntiSpyware.exe is running with administrative privileges. The SAS gurus cannot expect users to have to close down their primary AV programs in order to permit SAS to shut down the system....just not logical. I suspect there is an incorrect call for the shutdown activation on Win 7 x64.

Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, local MS Office 2013, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell XPS410 (SAS Pro) and MS Surface tablet (SAS Free).  Windows 7 SP1 x86 Professional, MS Office 2010, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell Vostro 220s (SAS Pro).

#13 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

I can confirm Alan's findings. SAS PRO will not shutdown Win 7 x64 Professional following a scheduled scan...even if SuperAntiSpyware.exe is running with administrative privileges. The SAS gurus cannot expect users to have to close down their primary AV programs in order to permit SAS to shut down the system....just not logical. I suspect there is an incorrect call for the shutdown activation on Win 7 x64.

Excellent find Siliconman.

I couldn't test the findings, as I haven't even bothered with Win7 yet:)
[

#14 siliconman01

siliconman01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

Excellent find Siliconman.

I couldn't test the findings, as I haven't even bothered with Win7 yet:)

My Casper V6.0 system backup program has an option to put the system in Standby Mode or to shutdown the system following a complete system backup. Both options work as designed. And this is done with no disabling or whatever....just does what it is suppose to do.

Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, local MS Office 2013, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell XPS410 (SAS Pro) and MS Surface tablet (SAS Free).  Windows 7 SP1 x86 Professional, MS Office 2010, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell Vostro 220s (SAS Pro).

#15 Alan b

Alan b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for your support, Seth and siliconman. Now over to SAS support, I suppose.

Maybe this is a problem with Windows 7 and scheduled tasks - I'm running Auslogics Disk Defrag and this will not START a scheduled defrag, although it will shut down automatically at the end when finished. No reply from their support on this at the moment.

Regards

Alan

#16 siliconman01

siliconman01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

Here is a response from SAS Customer Support.

It is a bug we are working on with 64bit windows 7. It will be fixed on the next release.

Regards,

Sean Ormsby
Director of Customer Service
SUPERAntiSpyware
www.superantispyware.com

#17 Alan b

Alan b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

But in reply to my support submission Sean is saying:

"The problem lies then with Avira, try uninstalling it then see if auto-shutdown works."

#18 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:09 PM

But in reply to my support submission Sean is saying:

"The problem lies then with Avira, try uninstalling it then see if auto-shutdown works."

If that's the case, then you should be able to just disable it from msconfig's startup entries and service entries.
[

#19 Alan b

Alan b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

Hi again Seth

My point was that Sean seems to be giving contradictory solutions to this problem: to me he is saying uninstall Avira and try again, but siliconman above quotes him as saying it's a bug which with Windows 7 64 bit which they are working on for the next release os SAS. I don't want to go through the hassle of uninstalling Avira, trying a scheduled scan, then reinstalling, if it's not going to work anyway because it's some kind of compatibility bug between W7 64 bit and the current release of SAS.

Regards

Alan

#20 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

Hi again Seth

My point was that Sean seems to be giving contradictory solutions to this problem: to me he is saying uninstall Avira and try again, but siliconman above quotes him as saying it's a bug which with Windows 7 64 bit which they are working on for the next release os SAS. I don't want to go through the hassle of uninstalling Avira, trying a scheduled scan, then reinstalling, if it's not going to work anyway because it's some kind of compatibility bug between W7 64 bit and the current release of SAS.

Regards

Alan

I don't know.

I guess ask Sean if he's keeping an eye on this thread.
[

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users