Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials-High CPU usage.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hello.

I've given up on MSE.

Typical scenario in the last few months with my computer repair business:

- Customer calls due to an infected computer.

- Customer is usually running one of the "big three" antivirus apps, but due to the infections, asks for a recommendation on "better" internet security.

- I suggest and explain layered protection with MSE, SAS Pro, and MB on demand.

- Customer agrees, the system is cleaned/disinfected, and the above installed.

- Customer calls back within a few days or weeks stating that the computer is so slow that they can't even use it.

- I check it out, and once again find that MSE is consuming virtually all of the CPU...and no, MSE isn't scanning at the time.

- Uninstall MSE, install Avast, and all is well again (other than my un-billable hours to rid my customers of such poor code).

At this time, I'm now recommending Avast (or NOD32 for paid), SAS Pro, and MB on demand.
[

#2 siliconman01

siliconman01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

You might wish to consider adding freebies SpywareBlaster V4.3 and HostsMan V3.2.73 (using MVPS, hphosts and Peter Lowe's ad server updates)to enhance your customers protection during their web surfing.

Windows 8.1.u1 x64 Professional, local MS Office 2013, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell XPS 8700 (SAS Pro) and a MS Surface tablet (SAS Pro). 

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

I have been running MSE on 2 units for quite a while now - An older XP SP3 unit and a newer Win7 L/top -
Both run very well with MSE and there is almost no notice of usage (except as the scan starts) -
There was more demand on my system with SAS running - I now only use it on demand -
You also need to make sure the scans are both well apart (at least 2 hours) as they can overlap then cause this problem -
I am running a MSE scan now and it shows maximum 30-40% CPU usage with scan running -
CPU = 0% without MSE scan running -
CPU = 50-70% with SAS running and temps are also rising now - Only found tracking cookies , no infections -
You have other problems with those units - NOT MSE -

Customer calls due to an infected computer.

Main Defences - SUPERAntiSpyware - Malwarebytes - Microsoft Security Essentisls -
CCleaner - ATF Cleaner - CPUID PC Wizard 2010 - Internet Explorer and Orca Browsers -

#4 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

FFS.

Please pause while I get some legitimate feedback.

Robin?
[

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:21 AM

FFS
Robin?

Being unsure is the first signs of you not being right -
Maybe you should have held off with posting this without Robin giving the OK first -
I was only quoting my impressions at the time and also scanning while posting -
I am aware I do not post here very often , I always look , but this item needed a response -
My response was only based on Personal current and past experiences with MSE and other programs -

Thank You -
Main Defences - SUPERAntiSpyware - Malwarebytes - Microsoft Security Essentisls -
CCleaner - ATF Cleaner - CPUID PC Wizard 2010 - Internet Explorer and Orca Browsers -

#6 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

Apologies for my last post Noknojon and Siliconman. I wasn't exactly in the right state of mind when I wrote it.

Anyway, the reference to Robin was in regards to a post she wrote about six months ago. Robin stated that in her computer repair business, she had to stop using MSE with XP due to system degradation.

The issue is random. The only clue I've found is that the MSE and Windows Update process will alternate between using 99% of the CPU. Killing either, brings the other down to normal CPU usage.
[

#7 Byte_King

Byte_King

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:01 AM

I've had the same issue. I found disabling MSE's automatic updates and just letting Windows Update get the definition updates solved the issue here

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:29 AM

Hi -
That seems odd to me , as MSE appears to work better on my XP than it will on my Win7 laptop -
I have pulled MSE off the Win7 and replaced it with Avira , as that seems to be smoother than earlier versions -
Plus no more Splash Screens with Avira these days - :-P

#9 robinb9

robinb9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

FFS.

Please pause while I get some legitimate feedback.

Robin?

ok here is my thoughts
So I have been so busy this week running around trying to get new computers to clients before xmas I have had no time to pop in here as often as I am normally but
as far as MSE, i do NOT like it on XP, and version 2 is worse on XP. It does have a high cpu usage. version 2 gives you the opportunity to cut or high the cpu usage for the computer when it is doing a scan but i tried every % and it still makes XP run hot no matter what % you put it on.
On the other hand I do not see this a problem for Windows 7. I think Microsoft made MSE for Windows 7 only since it is trying to get everyone to drop XP and go with Windows 7. I still do not trust it as a sole antivirus/antispyware program even if you go to their forum that is what the MVPS there and Microsoft techs tell you. I believe it is not enough, especially since MSE on many computers doesn't update definitions when it is suppose to do this. I think you need a backup, like Superantispyware free or pro. They also tell users not to run Superantispyware in Real time- (i am there all the time and i see this typed) which i think is bogus! Superantispyware Pro plays very nice with MSE as long as you make sure you do not run its scan at the same time MSE is suppose to.

MSE is mainly for the beginner user in my opinion, because the only real thing you need to know is to set a schedule for scanning and everything else is defaulted. That is why I recommend it to all my new clients who run Windows 7. and because it is a Microsost product it has less chances of going wrong on its own OS.

On all my new clients computers as an addition to the antivirus program, I sell them Superantispyware Pro, and I put on Spywareblaster free, Ccleaner, Malwarebytes Free version, firefox with addon WOT.

For my more advanced clients I highly recommend AVAST Free. My business clients Avast Pro (not internet security). I personally do not like a third party firewall only because most regular users have no clue what to allow out and will stop something that really needs to phone home and cause more problems. Windows 7 firewall is just fine and all my clients business or regular have Fios which has a firewall built in the router or Comcast and have a lynksis router attached to the modem that also has a firewall built in.
So that is my 2 cents
Happy Holidays to everyone
Robin
R&D Internet Associates

Computer Training, Repair, Recovery

http://rdinternetassociates.com

8 XP sp3 -all versions, 2-Windows 7 Home Prem 32bit, 1 netbook running Windows 7 Starter

Avast Free, MSE, SUPERantispyware (free/Pro) , Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster
Antivirus Programs are on different computers- Everyone knows you can only run 1 Anti-virus Program :)

#10 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

I didn't mention in my first post that I only see the MSE issue with XP. It's fine on Vista and 7.

I personally do not like a third party firewall only because most regular users have no clue what to allow out and will stop something that really needs to phone home and cause more problems.

I don't install a third party firewall for the same reason. The average user just ends up allowing everything or denying everything. Both of which is worse than having no firewall.

Then there's other issues of a third party firewall, such as system speed degradation and internet access problems.
[

#11 robinb9

robinb9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

oh btw i stopped using AVG only because this new version it has caused so many problems on mine and my clients computers and after the prior update I thought i was going to shoot Grifsoft because when one client rebooted his computer Windows would not load up and the hell and aggravation i had to do by going into safe mode and uninstalling AVG (the error code in Windows XP was associated with avg files). Going to their website seemed hundreds had the same problem.
As said I now use only AVAST on XP computers and MSE on beginner user computers ONLY- advanced users- Avast.
robin
R&D Internet Associates

8 XP sp3 -all versions, 2-Windows 7 Home Prem 32bit, 1 netbook running Windows 7 Starter

Avast Free, MSE, SUPERantispyware (free/Pro) , Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster
Antivirus Programs are on different computers- Everyone knows you can only run 1 Anti-virus Program :)

#12 Blues

Blues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

FWIW, MSE (version 2) runs just fine on my and my wife's XP Pro SP3 machines.

On mine, the very first day (after the version upgrade) I did see some periods of high CPU usage and was getting a bit concerned. That abated later that same day and has not returned.

I don't know if it was due to MSE adapting to the system or not but it has not returned and my computer and fans could not be running more quietly or smoothly.

Just offered as another data point. (We switched to MSE several months to a year ago from the free versions of Avira and Avast and have had absolutely no regrets in doing so.)
Blues

Real-time: Sandboxie, MBAM Pro, Online Armor, WinPatrol PLUS

On Demand: EAM, SAS Pro, Hitman Pro // Norton DNS

#13 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

I don't install AVG.

It's about the most highly targeted AV out there.
[

#14 robinb9

robinb9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

I don't install AVG.

It's about the

most highly targeted AV out there.

7.5 was great- low cpu usage, did what it was suppose to do, caused no problems, then the company got cocky and put out 8.5 which started to have problems, now with 2011 it sucks big time. I have 6 test computers -1 windows 7 5 XP and on all of them AVG 2011 caused more problems then it was worth and I am a distributor of AVG- now -NOmore! I will not sell a product that I personally do not stand behind!
robin
R&D Internet Associates

#15 robinb9

robinb9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

On mine, the very first day (after the version upgrade) I did see some periods of high CPU usage and was getting a bit concerned. That abated later that same day and has not returned.

I don't know if it was due to MSE adapting to the system or not but it has not returned and my computer and fans could not be running more quietly or smoothly.

Just offered as another data point. (We switched to MSE several months to a year ago from the free versions of Avira and Avast and have had absolutely no regrets in doing so.)

or you could have been one of the lucky ones, I found it works fine on xp if you have no big programs installed like Turbo Tax, Quicken, Quickbooks, Office 2011, Photoshop etc etc that need a lot of cpu usage to run then MSE makes the computer go slow. If you have the basic installed, IE, Firefox, and a few small programs that do not use a lot of memory then MSE floats by.

robin
R&D Internet Associates

#16 Blues

Blues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

or you could have been one of the lucky ones, I found it works fine on xp if you have no big programs installed like Turbo Tax, Quicken, Quickbooks, Office 2011, Photoshop etc etc that need a lot of cpu usage to run then MSE makes the computer go slow. If you have the basic installed, IE, Firefox, and a few small programs that do not use a lot of memory then MSE floats by.

robin

I personally use Quicken, a Turbo-Tax competitor, Open Office and a couple of different image programs on my system...
(Again offered only as a data point, not to contradict anyone's experience or findings. The more info we have, the better chance of resolving issues imho.)
Blues

Real-time: Sandboxie, MBAM Pro, Online Armor, WinPatrol PLUS

On Demand: EAM, SAS Pro, Hitman Pro // Norton DNS

#17 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

We switched to MSE several months to a year ago from the free versions of Avira and Avast and have had absolutely no regrets in doing so.

If MSE runs fine on the system, then I say go for it.

I also doubt that there is any significant difference in the detection abilities of the major AV apps. Although detection ability is only one aspect that should be considered when deciding on an AV.
[

#18 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

I personally use Quicken, a Turbo-Tax competitor, Open Office and a couple of different image programs on my system...
(Again offered only as a data point, not to contradict anyone's experience or findings. The more info we have, the better chance of resolving issues imho.)

I agree.

The MSE/XP sluggishness that I've encountered, didn't have anything to do with other third party apps.
[

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users