• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 acillatem

acillatem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:56 AM

Hi, brand new here, and just ran a full system scan today, and SAS found 13 Adware Tracking cookies. and moved them to quarantine, after which I deleted them, or so I thought. I ran the scan again, and it found the same objects! Here is my scan log:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 07/24/2010 at 07:40 PM

Application Version : 4.35.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 5261
Trace Rules Database Version: 3073

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:39:58

Memory items scanned : 482
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6441
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 22929
File threats detected : 13

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@adbrite[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@atdmt[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@tribalfusion[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@fastclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@tacoda[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@content.yieldmanager[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@content.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@mediaforge[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@pro-market[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@atdmt[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@oasn04.247realmedia[1].txt

What are these, and why won't they disappear? I might add that the other night, my Antivirus program(Nod32) found something called Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Monkif.AF, or something like that. I It quarantined it, and I removed it, and that prompted my SAS scan, as well as a MBAM scan, and that's when I found these items, but I can't get rid of them.Any feedback or help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 siliconman01

siliconman01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

Your version of SAS is very old if you are running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7. You should update to the latest SAS V4.41.1000. If you right click on the SAS icon in the systray/notification tray and select "Check for Updates", SAS will offer the upgrade of the program to you. Just let it upgrade.

After you upgrade, rescan your system. Let it quarantine what it finds and then repost the scan log.

Windows 8.1.u1 x64 Professional, local MS Office 2013, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell XPS 8700 (SAS Pro) and a MS Surface tablet (SAS Pro). 

#3 redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

another thing is that you can block "third-party cookies" in your browser's "privacy settings".. if you don't block third-party cookies, you can expect them to come right back every time you use your browser to view webpages..

to adjust the cookie-settings, with your browser open, in your browser, go to "tools"/"options"/"privacy"..

so the cookies may be being removed, but they are coming right back every time you view webpages, since you don't have "third-party cookies" blocked, in your browser's "privacy settings"..

after you allow SAS to remove the cookies, you could check to see if the cookies were removed, or not.. to do that, in your browser (like IE or firefox) go to "tools"/"options".. in IE, you can check the cookies on the "general" panel.. in firefox, it is in "privacy"..

win xpsp3, "windows firewall", avira 13 premium, SSM, RegDefend

#4 acillatem

acillatem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

Your version of SAS is very old if you are running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7. You should update to the latest SAS V4.41.1000. If you right click on the SAS icon in the systray/notification tray and select "Check for Updates", SAS will offer the upgrade of the program to you. Just let it upgrade.

There is no option to upgrade after right clicking the icon in the system tray. None at all. There is a check for updtaes option when I open the program, but that is for definitions updates, which I've done. Also, If I go the SAS site, the free version shows the version I have.

#5 acillatem

acillatem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

another thing is that you can block "third-party cookies" in your browser's "privacy settings".. if you don't block third-party cookies, you can expect them to come right back every time you use your browser to view webpages..

to adjust the cookie-settings, with your browser open, in your browser, go to "tools"/"options"/"privacy"..

so the cookies may be being removed, but they are coming right back every time you view webpages, since you don't have "third-party cookies" blocked, in your browser's "privacy settings"..

after you allow SAS to remove the cookies, you could check to see if the cookies were removed, or not.. to do that, in your browser (like IE or firefox) go to "tools"/"options".. in IE, you can check the cookies on the "general" panel.. in firefox, it is in "privacy"..

It's been set that way.
http://i80.photobuck...vacysetting.jpg

#6 acillatem

acillatem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

Further proof that something is really weird about this......made sure I cleared any/all cookies from my browser, closed it, ran the scan, it still detected the same exact items, it quarantined them, I deleted them from quarantine. Ran the scan again, without ever opening the browser, and it found the same items, again! I don't get it.

#7 redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

the latest version of SAS is build 4.41.. if you go to the superantispyware website, in "downloads", you can download the latest version, build 4.41, from there..

as for your cookie-settings, you could go into the "advanced" settings and set it to block third-party cookies..

as for the cookies that are being flagged when you run a scan, post the SAS scan-log so that we can see what is being flagged.. are the "cookies" that are being flagged in your recycle bin? if so, try emptying your recycle bin..

#8 acillatem

acillatem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

the latest version of SAS is build 4.41.. if you go to the superantispyware website, in "downloads", you can download the latest version, build 4.41, from there..

as for your cookie-settings, you could go into the "advanced" settings and set it to block third-party cookies..

as for the cookies that are being flagged when you run a scan, post the SAS scan-log so that we can see what is being flagged.. are the "cookies" that are being flagged in your recycle bin? if so, try emptying your recycle bin..

No they are not being put in my recycle bin, and it is set to block third party cookies.

#9 acillatem

acillatem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:13 AM

O.k. I uninstalled the older version I had been using, and downloaded the latest version. I cleared all cookies, and all internet browsing history,closed the browser, AND made sure the recycle bin was empty(again), and ran the scanner. This time it found 86 items, and it quarantined them, and then I deleted them. I immediately ran the scanner agian, without touching my browser,and again, making sure the deleted items weren't in it. It found those same 11 items that it keeps finding, that I keep quaranting and deleting......it just doesn't make sense. Here is my scan log.....again!

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 07/25/2010 at 08:32 PM

Application Version : 4.41.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 5265
Trace Rules Database Version: 3077

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:42:35

Memory items scanned : 489
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 7582
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 22963
File threats detected : 11

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@adbrite[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@tribalfusion[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@fastclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@tacoda[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@content.yieldmanager[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@content.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@mediaforge[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@pro-market[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@atdmt[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\jim_lundquist@oasn04.247realmedia[1].txt

Somebody must have some clue as to why this is happening.

#10 Guest_rayban_*

Guest_rayban_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

I am not very loyal to any one thing in my wardrobe with the exception to my

RayBan sunglasses.I love them and wear them every single day. They are the perfect pair of

sunglasses, not too dark and really lightweight. They were a gift from my Dad - he's been

wearing them since I can remember and I think he got sick of me always taking his and

wearing them. What can I say, he's got impeccable taste.

#11 redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:16 AM

acillatem, go to the "C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\" folder and delete the cookies, there..

if you can't see the "C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\" folder, with "explorer" open (which is used for viewing files and folders), in "explorer", go to "tools"/"folder options"/"view" and tick the box, there, for "show hidden files and folders".. that should make the folder viewable, if it was not viewable before..

if you ask me if you should undo the "show hidden files and folders", after deleting the "cookies", i would say no, leave "show hidden files and folders" enabled.. however, i would not enable "show protected system files" and leave that enabled..

since SAS is flagging the "cookies", i don't know why it isn't removing them, unless maybe it is a bug in the program..

also, again, i advise you to go into the "advanced" settings, in IE's "privacy" settings, and set it to block third-party cookies..

#12 acillatem

acillatem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:31 AM

acillatem, go to the "C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\" folder and delete the cookies, there..

if you can't see the "C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist\Cookies\" folder, with "explorer" open (which is used for viewing files and folders), in "explorer", go to "tools"/"folder options"/"view" and tick the box, there, for "show hidden files and folders".. that should make the folder viewable, if it was not viewable before..

I already have it set to show hidden files and folders, and there isn't a "cookies" folder showing in C:Documents and Settings\Jim Lundquist
Can't figure that one out at all.

also, again, i advise you to go into the "advanced" settings, in IE's "privacy" settings, and set it to block third-party cookies..

O.k. I see that. Won't that block all cookies though? I thought it's good to allow some, yes?

#13 redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:50 AM

O.k. I see that. Won't that block all cookies though? I thought it's good to allow some, yes?

it should have one option for blocking first-party cookies and another option for blocking third-party cookies.. if you set it to block third-party cookies, that does not also block first-party cookies..

yes, some first-party cookies are needed.. as far as i know, third-party cookies are not needed..

(you can block first-party cookies as well, but, if you did, you would have to allow some of them, as needed, one way or another).. i have my computer set to allow first-party cookies but to block third-party cookies..

as for the "cookies" folder's not showing, try adjusting the "folder view" settings, again, in "explorer"/"tools"/"options"/"view", clicking the "apply to all folders" button..

i don't know what folder you can manage to navigate to, with the settings that you have, but, when navigating within the folders, if you are not seeing some folder, check the "folder view" settings, to see if "show hidden files and folders" is enabled..

incidentally, those "cookies" aren't something that you need to worry about, as far as their doing any harm to your computer.. still, SAS's not removing them after having flagged them does seem like an issue..

#14 acillatem

acillatem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

as for the "cookies" folder's not showing, try adjusting the "folder view" settings, again, in "explorer"/"tools"/"options"/"view", clicking the "apply to all folders" button..

That didn't work either. Still no cookies folder. Weird.

#15 redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

try contacting SAS's "support" and see if they can sort things out..

#16 da_houghsta

da_houghsta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:22 AM

Was there any conclusion to this? I am having the exact same issue with SUPERAntiSpyware finding 9-11 tracking cookies every scan. I have a couple of small issues with my computer such as hotmail taking a couple of minutes to load which it shouldn't do, and I cannot post on certain forums. I suspect some form of virus. I remove the cookies each time and will also do 2 scans after each other without opening a browser. I also went into the Cookies folder (you need to make sure you untick "Hide protected operating system files (recomended)", not hidden files, to get the folder to show up). I deleted all the cookies in there, although index.dat won't delete, before the 2nd scan and it still finds 9-11 tracking cookies in that folder. I go back in and there is no cookies in there still. I also have deleted cookies, browsing history, etc etc in IE, still no help. I did manage to somehow fix the problem a couple days ago, but then I visited a particular forum and it started all over again (note to self, stay away from now on) and it will not go. Malwarebyte's Anto-Malware doesn't find anything and Lavasoft AdAware only sometimes does.

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but it's the same problem, just hoping you managed to fix it and let me know what you did. I do not want to formatt either unless extreme last choice.

#17 acillatem

acillatem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:30 AM

No, I never did figure that out. It's the strangest thing,as you can see. I simply don't get it at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users