#1 Niagara

Niagara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

Hi all,
Glad to be member of this forum. :)
This is my first post, so don't blame me if my question has already been posted..And excuse my so bad English.

I bought SUPERAntispyware Pro few days ago. Install went fine on Windows XP SP3.
The first update has been made manually by clicking "update now" just after installation.
Since then, the program never update itself. There is NO event into the log about updating, and for now I still have the 5/9/2010 defs (Manual update).
The program is not blocked by a firewall.

I could not find any option how to manage scheduled Updates. Is there such an option.?
Thanks to help me. :)

#2 siliconman01

siliconman01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

Hi all,
This is my first post, so don't blame me if my question has already been posted..And excuse my so bad English.

I bought SUPERAntispyware Pro few days ago. Install went fine on Windows XP SP3.
The first update has been made manually by clicking "update now" just after installation.
Since then, the program never update itself. There is NO event into the log about updating, and for now I still have the 5/9/2010 defs (Manual update).

I could not find any option how to manage scheduled Updates. Is there such an option.?

The options for updates is on the Updates tab of the Preferences window. Just open the main window of SAS PRO, click on the Preferences hot button and then select the Updates tab.

Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, local MS Office 2013, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell XPS410 (SAS Pro) and MS Surface tablet (SAS Free).  Windows 7 SP1 x86 Professional, MS Office 2010, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell Vostro 220s (SAS Pro).

#3 Niagara

Niagara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

The options for updates is on the Updates tab of the Preferences window. Just open the main window of SAS PRO, click on the Preferences hot button and then select the Updates tab.

Thanks you. I have already found this tab, But all preferences are ticked - Check every 8 hours -, Check at start of the Program.. etc.. But none of them works. That is annoying.
I can leave my PC up and running for days and night, no update. Restarting Windows to force the program to update at start does not work anymore.
The only way to update (Just done now) is to use the radio button "update now" on the same tab.

I don't know if it's only me ??
How does the update process works ? I don't see any entry into the Windows Task Scheduler.
Thanks

#4 churchmouse

churchmouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

Thanks you. I have already found this tab, But all preferences are ticked - Check every 8 hours -, Check at start of the Program.. etc.. But none of them works. That is annoying.
I can leave my PC up and running for days and night, no update. Restarting Windows to force the program to update at start does not work anymore.
The only way to update (Just done now) is to use the radio button "update now" on the same tab.

I don't know if it's only me ??
How does the update process works ? I don't see any entry into the Windows Task Scheduler.
Thanks

Hi Niagra,
I have the same problem, exactly. Problem is, on Windows 7, and even though I am logged in with administrator rights, it keeps telling me that I can't update without administrator rights. I get alerts telling me it needs to update, and I do by going into the main panel which seems to work for the definitions. But I am sure the program itself isn't updating.. and am not sure how to tell.

#5 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hi Churchmouse and Niagra.

Please try the following:

1) Close SAS from the tray.

2) Right click the SAS icon from the desktop and choose "Run As Administrator".

Can you update now?
[

#6 Niagara

Niagara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:32 AM

Hi Churchmouse and Niagra.

Please try the following:

1) Close SAS from the tray.

2) Right click the SAS icon from the desktop and choose "Run As Administrator".

Can you update now?

Thanks for reply.
I do not have this option "Run as Admin " when right click.
I use Windows XP Pro SP3 in Admin account and no, the program still refuse to update itself. I have tried to launch the program few seconds after the Internet status was up and running but no more luck. If I log my network there no attempt from SAS to connect the Web. All updates options are ticked into the preferences tab.
What can I do more ?

#7 siliconman01

siliconman01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:48 AM

I recommend that you submit a Customer Service Request ticket per the link below and let the SAS gurus determine what the problem is. It may very well be a bug in the latest version of SAS.

http://www.superanti...eateticket.html

Windows 8.1 x64 Professional, local MS Office 2013, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell XPS410 (SAS Pro) and MS Surface tablet (SAS Free).  Windows 7 SP1 x86 Professional, MS Office 2010, Internet Explorer 11 on Dell Vostro 220s (SAS Pro).

#8 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

My mistake Niagra. I thought you were using Windows 7.

Churchmouse,

Go ahead and try my suggestion. If it doesn't help, then please submit a Customer Support Request as Siliconman suggested.
[

#9 Catman51

Catman51

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationL.A., CA

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

Same here, XP SP 3, pop up says update available, I click install now, box comes up and sits there blank.
I wait for it to say install now, but it just hangs and the box stays blank where the update should be listed.
I have to go to the site to get it.
SteveM

#10 Torrid Frost

Torrid Frost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

Hi Niagra,
I have the same problem, exactly. Problem is, on Windows 7, and even though I am logged in with administrator rights, it keeps telling me that I can't update without administrator rights. I get alerts telling me it needs to update, and I do by going into the main panel which seems to work for the definitions. But I am sure the program itself isn't updating.. and am not sure how to tell.

Greetings,

I also experienced this issue where Super Anti-Spyware was unable to update with the error message telling me that I had to run from an account with administrator rights. I am using windows seven 64 bit version.

there is no options to run this program as the administrator which meant that the rights for the program had to be altered so it could run properly...So I went into the registry to see if I saw anything strange. I noticed that for some reason, Super Anti-Spyware installs on the system it is put in the permissions group RESTRICTED. A cursory glance into the rights of this group lets you know right away that the only permissions it has is “read.” Here is what I did which resolved the issue.

Run Regedit (to check settings and make changes to your registry)
- [hit start and type regedit into the box at the bottom of the menu…or if you’re using xp you’ll need to hit start and go to run and then type in regedit]
Navigate to the following
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER
o Software
From within the software folder scroll down the list of installed software programs until you find an entry for SUPERAntiSpyware
o Right click on SUPERAntiSpyware
o Highlight Permissions and then left click on it
- Click on the advanced button near the bottom of the window on the right hand side
o Un-check the box that states “include inheritable permissions from this object’s parents
 A message will pop up giving you options at the bottom select add
 Doing this allows you to access a setting which is important as you only want these changes to affect items in this folder.
From here double click on the RESTRICTED group listed in the window…this will bring up a permissions entry window.
*Note* I did not bother trying to fine tune this I don’t know which permissions can be left out so I ended up giving this one item full control…however…be sure to check the box at the bottom of this window which says:
 Apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container only

After doing this click okay out of the windows and close the registry and then Close and reopen super anti-spyware and it should be able to update now.

*Note, that it seems you are only able to update withing the program itself, the message that pops up will continue to pop up and will continue to fail if you try to download and install the updates, but you should be able to within the program itself.*

I hope that helps...

He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying. ~Friedrich Nietzche

~Feel the burning cold!~

Torrid~Frost!

#11 Jones500

Jones500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Hi all,

I just purchased SuperAntiSpyware Pro a few days ago so it will update automatically. But, mine isn't updating either. I have to do it manually also. I also use Windows XP. I have just tried the "run as" suggestion but I had already updated it manually right before I found this so I'll have to wait to see if it works. I hope it does. Did it fix yours?

#12 Jones500

Jones500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

I just purchased SuperAntiSpyware Pro a few days ago so it will update automatically. But, mine isn't updating either. I have to do it manually also. I also use Windows XP. I have just tried the "run as" suggestion but I had already updated it manually right before I found this so I'll have to wait to see if it works. I hope it does. Did it fix yours?

Mine still isn't updating automatically. If it gets updated, I have to do it manually. This is disappointing. That is why I purchase it so it would update automatically. Has anyone found a fix for this?

#13 siliconman01

siliconman01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

Mine still isn't updating automatically. If it gets updated, I have to do it manually. This is disappointing. That is why I purchase it so it would update automatically. Has anyone found a fix for this?

You should submit a Customer Service Request and let the gurus figure it out and fix it for you.

#14 Jones500

Jones500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

You should submit a Customer Service Request and let the gurus figure it out and fix it for you.

That's what I've done but it sounds like I'm out of luck. When I purchased this, I just assumed it would automatically update as virus programs, etc. do but now I understand that if it can't do it when the program starts,etc. it won't do it. My computer isn't connected to the internet all the time so that makes it a little difficult to update. I wish I had known this BEFORE I purchased it. I had tried to install the trial version but it wouldn't let me. It kept telling me "license had expired" when I'd never tried it before. It had gotten such good reviews so I thought I would just go ahead and purchase it anyway. That was a mistake. In order to update it, I'm still having to do it manually. I'm no better off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users