Memory items scanned : 111
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 0
Registry threats detected : 1
File items scanned : 0
File threats detected : 0

System.BrokenFileAssociation
HKCR\.exe

I had the same problem on my 32 bit XP Pro setup, however, with HKCR\.com. Assuming it to be a false positive, I told SuperAntiSpyware to ignore it. Then I checked the registry and found that it was indeed a false association as .com was referred to as an exefile and not a comfile. An easy way out (which I used) was to download a fix from here: http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm I enclose the screen shot of the opening page, which speaks for itself.

Worked for me .. as SuperAntiSpyware keeps quiet about the false association, at least for now.

p.s. edited above link (removed trailing '.' to make it click-able). And, ran another scan and no problems, so it seems the fix took care of a file association which indeed was broke (imo).

Attached Files

#22 jadinolf

jadinolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOjai, CA

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:21 AM

Same problem here and I have seen nothing that fixed it.

I have a support ticket working but no help.

I'm getting so don't like making registry changes that do nothing. :(

#23 jadinolf

jadinolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOjai, CA

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:42 AM

Problem solved with registry fix from tech support.

Many thanks guys.

#24 PSCO2007

PSCO2007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:26 AM

I am having the same problem.
Although the administrator says the problem has been corrected, everytime I run a scan it says "broken file extension."
Is this anything that should concern me?Attached File  SUPER SCAN ERROR - 6,21,10.jpg   92.59K   19 downloads

#25 PSCO2007

PSCO2007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

I am having the same problem.
Although the administrator says the problem has been corrected, every time I run a scan it says "broken file extension."
Is this anything that should concern me?Attached File  SUPER SCAN ERROR - 6,21,10.jpg   92.59K   19 downloads

#26 sblosser

sblosser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

Hi - I ran into this same problem, and unfortunately my registry seems to have been updated and I cannot get it back to the way it was. I am basically having the same problem as Alinda (post #17) from May 10, 2010, though I am running XP Pro SP 3:

- I am using SAS version 4.50.1002
- I updated my OS to XP Pro Service Pack 3
- I somehow got infected with some malware that kept popping up pretending to scan my hard drive, said it found a lot of infected files and wanted me to buy a version of the security software for $99.
- I ran the SAS and it found some malware files but also found som "System.BrokenFileAssociation" items and had some "fixes" for it.
- I let SAS do everything it recommended and re-booted
- Now when I boot up I still see all of my programs, but I cannot launch anything. It cannot associate the file with the executable.

I am able to get SAS to run by going to the SuperAntiSpyware.exe file and launching it from there. I can view the quarantine items, but cannot open the log files to see what exactly was done. I tried using the "Restore" feature on the System.BrokenFile Association quarantined item, but it did not seem to do anything.

Sorry I'm not an expert on this, and am nervous about mucking around with my registry. I saw that Alinda got a file that worked to repair her registry for Windows 7, but as I said, I'm running XP Pro SP 3. Can anyone help me out or point me to some online resources that would lead me through what I need to do. Thanks a lot.

#27 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

Hi sblosser.

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm
[

#28 gerrardo

gerrardo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

nevermind

#29 wolfie138

wolfie138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

add me to the list. been infested w/ stuff and i've been cleaning and the like the last couple days. finally *seem* to be down to this only. i'm using 4.51 defs 6960.0.0.4772 ~ got the tip from a link on another forum.
I notice Geoff's reply back in May last year (ooh, happy anniversary) said a fix had been put in, therefore is the fact i'm receiving this warning something to be concerned about? i will add that i'm bluescreening on shutdown - it started hanging and restarting on shutdaown, then i did another scan, started shutting down normally, then after another scan and finally (paws crossed) getting rid of the last trojan it's hanging again.

TIA.

#30 SAS Customer Service

SAS Customer Service

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

Thanks that seems to have worked fine. Even though I got error messages while trying to follow the instructions. Now I can just use my Windows 7 installation again.

After this experience and reading various articles I have now turned off the automatic quarantine and remove infected file option. I have had too many false positives, both from SAS and my virus scanner.

Thanks for the help!

We also provide a file association fix here:
http://www.superanti..._FixEXEfile.com
Customer Service
SUPERAntiSpyware
www.superantispyware.com

#31 AJGP

AJGP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

We also provide a file association fix here:

I am a more or less complete newbie, and have had to read a lot over the last 24 hours.

In the first instance, I am concerned and confused about that link :
as I believe McAfee was telling me it contained a Trojan "Artemis!B6F38EC8B846" when I clicked on it and it started to download (in Chrome) I killed Chrome and McAfee says it cleaned 2 copies in downloads/cache. So I have not run it.

Secondly: The reason I was looking at the link, and so what do I do now, please?
I have Windows7 32bit Dell Vostro laptop. Normally I run Prevx (3.0 subscribed version) , which has picked up a few viruses in the past that McAfee(subscribed) and MSSecurity Essentials did not (Had been running all 3 with no apparent clash).

Yesterday, in Chrome, I ended up with what I believe was a "Fast Windows Antivirus 2011" popup window running, and so I killed off Chrome from Task Manager ASAP. I ran all Prevx, Mcafee, MSSE full scans which detected nothing.

I rebooted in SafeMode and ran Malware bytes (free) which found nothing, and SAS(free) which found lots of cookies and System.BrokenFileAssociation, which I think I saw listed as just the 1 HKCR.exe
SAS version is 4.52.1000 core 7061 trace 4873
I quarantined HKCR.exe in SAS with no apparent side effects, and rebooted several times, and SAS is now coming up clean, but I wanted to get clarity on whether I should restrore HCKR.exe or delete completely, and I thought the SAS_FixEXEfile.com link might be the answer.
Any help appreciated. Thanks

#32 SAS Customer Service

SAS Customer Service

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

I am a more or less complete newbie, and have had to read a lot over the last 24 hours.

In the first instance, I am concerned and confused about that link :
as I believe McAfee was telling me it contained a Trojan "Artemis!B6F38EC8B846" when I clicked on it and it started to download (in Chrome) I killed Chrome and McAfee says it cleaned 2 copies in downloads/cache. So I have not run it.

Secondly: The reason I was looking at the link, and so what do I do now, please?
I have Windows7 32bit Dell Vostro laptop. Normally I run Prevx (3.0 subscribed version) , which has picked up a few viruses in the past that McAfee(subscribed) and MSSecurity Essentials did not (Had been running all 3 with no apparent clash).

Yesterday, in Chrome, I ended up with what I believe was a "Fast Windows Antivirus 2011" popup window running, and so I killed off Chrome from Task Manager ASAP. I ran all Prevx, Mcafee, MSSE full scans which detected nothing.

I rebooted in SafeMode and ran Malware bytes (free) which found nothing, and SAS(free) which found lots of cookies and System.BrokenFileAssociation, which I think I saw listed as just the 1 HKCR.exe
SAS version is 4.52.1000 core 7061 trace 4873
I quarantined HKCR.exe in SAS with no apparent side effects, and rebooted several times, and SAS is now coming up clean, but I wanted to get clarity on whether I should restrore HCKR.exe or delete completely, and I thought the SAS_FixEXEfile.com link might be the answer.
Any help appreciated. Thanks

Its no trojan; running the file will repair your exe file assciations. Please run the file then run a scan with SUPERAntiSpyware. After doing so; if HCKR//.EXE comes up again, please trust and allow that detection.
Customer Service
SUPERAntiSpyware
www.superantispyware.com

#33 papamario

papamario

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

Just for the record, I had the same problem yesterday with SAS Pro v. 4.53.1000, def core 7184, trace 4996. Initally after quarantining, I could not access anything from Vista SP2 through the start menu. I was able to access through safe mode and was OK once I rebooted.

However, this seems to be an ongoing problem. I had it on another computer a few weeks ago. However, I did not realize it was a SAS problem at the time. Is SAS going to be able to fix this bug without using the fix utility?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users