7 replies to this topic

#1 Spybuster

Spybuster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hi,
SuperAntispyware is by far the best spyware program i have found to date. It gets rid of the spyware the rest leave behind. I am dealing with one computer right now, though, that is infected with multiple viruses/spyware and I am not able to load the program. It gives me the standard "windows had encountered an error, and wants to send an error report"; when i send the report and look at the "more information" link it just says there is an update to SuperAntiSpyware and i should download it. I was already dealing with the latest download release from your web site and the machine i am working on will not go to any antivirus, antispyware or security update web pages; it simply tells me "page can not be displayed". My question is, is there a way to run SuperAntiSpyware from a thumb drive so i can cure these infections? Thanks in advance for your help and thanks again for a great product

Eric
charlotte, nc

#2 RoninV

RoninV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

As I understand it, copying the C:\Program Files\SAS to a thumb drive will allow a user to run SAS as a portable app. When updating the definitions of this USB "installed" SAS, can the update be accomplished from within the app, or will the user have to download the definitions from the website and copy them into the appropriate folder on the thumb drive?

#3 RoninV

RoninV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

xyz360400,

Based on what you've indicated, as long as "portable" SAS has access to the definitions stored in its "portable" folder, it should work properly? User's should be able to update "portable" SAS from within the SAS interface, since the update would simply overwrite/append the new defs to the defs already located in the "portable" folder. Is all goes well, would that not eliminate the...

"Just keep in mind that defs for SAS need to be updated for each user account to be scanned in, not just one.

...since the definitions are located on the portable media?

#4 RoninV

RoninV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

Does SAS, when installed on a PC, scan every user account, or just the active account?

If one was to logon to the host computer using an administrator account, it would scan an entire hard drive, including every user account. Right?

#5 RoninV

RoninV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

...beating a dead sea scroll!

Based on how you've explained it (including those other links), SAS will run like a self-contained portable app if the host system has no internet connection. Absent a live internet connection, SAS-portable will use the definitions in its portable folder (those defs will also be copied over to the host system, under the current user account on the host system).

The defs (Core/Trace) should be downloaded from SAS's website and saved to the SAS-portable folder. These defs are executable files! What happens when they have been downloaded to a computer without SAS installed, but SAS-portable attached?

#6 RoninV

RoninV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

So the sasdefinitions.exe file, which can be downloaded from the SAS website, includes the 2 processlist*.db you mention? If so, running this executable on a host computer without internet access, will create the SAS folder @ username/AppData (/roaming in Vista). From there, the two processlist".db files should be copied to the main SAS folder on your USB stick?

#7 nighthawkext

nighthawkext

Site Admin

• Team SUPERAntiSpyware
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

My name is Don Fowler. I'm an engineer working on SUPERAntiSpyware. In my testing here, I've found that renaming the executable to something nonsense like abc.exe will sometimes allow it to run. I would try that first. If that doesn't help you, let me know and I will keep working with you to solve the problem. Sometimes these are combinations of spyware and viral infections.

Thanks
Don

#8 AmLowLife

AmLowLife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:45 AM

Looks like the wife has the AVCare fake antispyware Trojan, too. It wouldn't allow me to open the program the way I normally do (an icon on the desk top--it wouldn't allow it to open) but was able to activate SAS from the little lady bug on the taskbar and remove the malware.

I thought my troubles were over but I guess the kids visited some sites that were evil.

This time around the ladybug has been removed and I can't open anything involving SAS even when I name it ABC.exe. I tried to re-download SAS (both versions) but it won't let me run them. It now won't let me even go to your website on that computer which is an interesting twist.

I then tried to open it from a thumbdrive and that didn't work, either (renamed it ABC.exe, too). Unfortunately, I put the thumb drive back in my computer and it's now trying to change the registry (which I am denying) and I am running SAS. I am sure I will be able to remove it from my computer but need help on how to do so on my wife's.

Looks like this AVCare thingy has specifically targeted SAS files and aps.

Need help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users